Thursday 6 November 2014

Crossing off the list

So when I last wrote this blog, I finished the post with four goals:

  • I will enter a writing competition in any genre at least once a month.
  • I will gain actual experience in the writing industry within this year.
  • I will grow my social media presence.
  • I will apply for freelance writing jobs

Now, nearly two months later, I am happy to say that I've made a lot of progress!

Step 1: I have entered a writing competition every month since the last post. Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything yet - but there's been no results posted on any of the competition pages yet... so I haven't lost hope. And, even in the highly likely chance that I haven't placed, it's forced me to write and put myself out there.

Step 2: I've gained experience in the writing industries! After applying to god-knows how many publishers, I heard back from Catchfire Press in Wallsend. An independent publishing house who have very kindly let me gain work experience with them on Tuesdays. I have been writing notes whilst in the meetings, and will upload them on here soon, but it's interesting to find out that the problems faced us when publishing our Nottingham anthologies really are universal. There's a growing disinterest in books. A 'fatigue' of a sort.

I was also a volunteer at the 'National Young Writers Festival' (part of the This Is Not Art festival) that took place in Newcastle this year. A really interactive festival in buildings across the city centre. One of my favourite parts was the 'Confession Booth' where writers had to start behind a microphone and admit secrets they'd never told anyone.

And last weekend, most importantly, I got a job. As a creative writing tutor. (!!!!!) I'm so excited to start. It's with the Sydney Story Factory, and entails me sitting down with a group of disadvantaged children and giving them the one-on-one literary help they so desperately need. As a tutor, I am also welcome to various courses and talks. In two weeks I'll be attending one about tutoring aboriginal children, and hope to take part in a 'leadership' course in January.

Step 3: Not much change here yet. I've considered starting a new twitter page, or even a facebook page, but don't feel like I have enough of a following for it to make an impact on my CV.
However, I have recently made plans to start a proper website. 
A travel website.
Where the screen would be a world map, and you could click on countries and see 'stars' of the places I've been. If you were to click on the 'star', then a screen would pop up with details like where I stayed, what I did, the highlights, lowlights, weather, recommendations etc. 
I'm certainly travelling enough - and you never know where it might take me.

Step 4: Freelance writing jobs. Yeah. This is on my to do list. Okay, I'm pretending it doesn't exist. I'm still nervous that I won't be good enough. I know, silliness. But also, I've been studying fairly hard and writing all my assignments that are due in.. so I haven't really had the time. But I will. I made it a goal. And I intend to stick to it.

Also, I've decided to take part in NaNoWriMo this month. 
Lets write a novel in exam month, why ever not?

So, I'm keeping busy. Crossing things of the list.. and hopefully taking steps to make me employable one day.

Until next time.
Keira

No comments:

Post a Comment